WickedEye's Quotient

3/06/2007 at 19:29

Dulce et Decorum Est

From today’s New York Times:

She said Mr. Bush respected the jury’s verdict but “was saddened for Scooter Libby and his family,” using Mr. Libby’s nickname. Mr. Cheney had a similar reaction. “As I have said before, Scooter has served our nation tirelessly and with great distinction through many years of public service,” he said.

Oh, really?

Mr. Cheney, you astound me. I had thought you incapable of basic human decency, and yet you had the kindness to give this glowing encomium to the man who took a 10-story fall for you.

Goodness gracious me. I dislike being mistaken in this fashion.

I would feel worse about poor Scooter, but the fact that he worked long and hard to get into position to be drop-kicked off this cliff- after all, one doesn’t become Chief-of-Staff to the Vice President without a great deal of effort- and the fact that he was pivotal in the White House’s spiteful, childish, felonious betrayal of one of the US’ secret agents in retribution for opposition to its views, somewhat diminishes my sympathy.

Those things, and also the fact that a man who serves in the above-named position and trades the perfectly respectable first name “Irve” for a nickname like “Scooter” clearly has a predilection towards the asinine.

Allow me to congratulate you, Irve. You took it on the chin. You took it like a man.

And I sincerely hope that- and sarcasm aside, this I really do mean- as you look back on this moment at the end of 2008, you realize that you did it all for nothing.


Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.