WickedEye's Quotient

4/18/2006 at 19:15

All books are either dreams or swords...

You can cut, or you can drug, with words.
-Amy Lowell (from Sword Blades and Poppy Seed)



I was trying to revamp my profile page a little and discovered, much to my chagrin, that I couldn't list my favorite books past the first 3, which is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long time. I mean, show me someone who actually reads and has only 3 books as favorites, and I'll show you someone in first grade (or maybe kindergarten). Yes, I know, space constraints. But still.

So I referred folks back to my blog, and am, for the second time since I began doing this, going to reveal information that actually pertains only and specifically to my life. (Well, the third time, really, but the first was a list of inconsequential nonsense, and a list of my favorite books is not by any means inconsequential.) Don't worry, I'll make sure it doesn't become a habit.

Below are my twenty-five favorite literary works, in order last to first (judged by how often I have read them). There are authors' names and enire series in some of the numbered slots; since I made the rules and an oeuvre can equal a book in my view, that isn't cheating.


25. Guns, Germs, and Steel
24. Richard Feynman
23. The Lord of the Rings
22. Ruth Rendell
21. Ogden Nash
20. A Brief History of Time
19. George MacDonald
18. Mark Twain
17. The Little Prince
16. Carl Sagan
15. Dorothy Parker
14. The Chronicles of Prydain
13. Robin McKinley
12. Dave Barry
11. Salman Rushdie
10. The Chronicles of Narnia
9. Fitzgerald's Rubiyat

8. Alpha & Omega
7. W.H. Auden
6. Hans Christian Andersen
5. The Brothers Grimm
4. Elizabeth Peters
3. The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: The Greatest Science Fiction Stories of All Time
2. Jane Eyre
1. To Kill A Mockingbird





Post a Comment



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs2.5 License.